House Blessings

House Blessings
Symbols, Nature and Kanji

Cement and hypertufa house blessings

Cement and hypertufa house blessings

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hypertufa, Art and objects for the Garden

The Ankh is the Egyptian Hieroglyphic sign or symbol of "life". The above picture shows the moss growing in the pits filled with peat moss after about 7 month of aging

This is a four-sided "Ankh", and I like it so much, I am planning (when weather allows) to make a series of large Ankh's  for fountain heads and free standing garden art.
This  grave marker was made
 for a friend's Boxer, as per request, it was made with hypertufa, (although I would have rather done this with just straight Portland cement), it does have a earthy quality and will gather moss more readily. The bone shape was  done first by hand, then the next morning I started to inscribe for my rough outline of the script. 

I will typically wait till the 2nd  or 3rd day to refine and sculpt, as if done too soon,  can take over sized chunks when making the smaller details. When the text is complete, I use the cement pigment to enhance the lettering, using a paint brush and a syringe for the hard to get to areas. I mix my cement pigment  "thick"  (in a plastic cup) for better definition and fewer applications.


This is my first attempt at doing fountains with Hypertufa. Although this is a jump off point, I can see the potential using this lighter weight material.
"Hypertufa" = Portland cement, sand and peat-moss. 
 (Or here is a link)








"Tribal" pond water spitter.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos which gave me a glimpse of just some of your works of art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I love your philosophy and work, particularly the tribal garden spitter. Would you by chance be interested in selling one? And if so, what would it cost?

    Thanks. David

    ReplyDelete